Spring 2016 has been a challenging one to date for dairy farmers, as a result of poor weather conditions. The wet weather caused poor utilization of existing grass covers and the dry cold spell of the past 10 days has left grass growth rates close to zero.
With the current scarcity of grass on farms, dairy cows must be supplemented with silage and concentrates to allow the milking cow meet her energy requirements.
It is vital that cows are fed a high energy ration with a high protein content of at least 18% when a substantial amount of silage is in the diet or when cows are indoors.
Here at Southern Milling we recommend our Milkosol 18dairy nut:
- Top quality 18% protein nut formulated for high yielding autumn and spring calving dairy cows.
- High energy content to meet the requirements of the early lactation cow on both grass and silage.
- Tailored to maximise milk output whilst keeping cow body condition score intact allowing cows to go back in calf.
- MEGALAC incorporated to increase the energy content of the concentrate. Megalac has been shown to improve body condition in high producing dairy cows in early lactation which improves fertility and helps to increase milk protein %.
- Optimum levels of Hi pro Soya included, maximising milk output.
- Yeast included to minimise the incidence of metabolic disorders that may otherwise occur in high performing dairy cows.
- Formulated with high levels of protected minerals, vitamins and trace elements to improve cow health.
- Actifor Boost included which has been shown in independent trials to increase milk protein % and milk yield. Actifor Boost has also being shown to reduce blood urea levels which improves fertility.
- Protected Zinc and Biotin incorporated in this ration to help hoof condition and reduce occurrence of lameness.
Southern Milling Ltd are brand leaders for high quality dairy feeds. Our broad range of consistently, top performing diets have gained an unchallenged reputation for success among generations of Irish dairy farmers.